This medicine contains venlafaxine as active ingredient. It is an antidepressant drug that has a specific effect on certain areas of the brain. Chemically different from other antidepressants, this drug works by inhibiting the ability of nerve endings in the brain to absorb serotonin, norepinephrine and, to a lesser extent, dopamine. They are known as SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors). It may take several weeks for this drug to take effect.
This medicine is prescribed for:
• Obsessive-compulsive disorder
• Panic disorder
• Social anxiety disorder
• Generalized anxiety disorder
• Posttraumatic stress disorder
Before using this medicine
Before you use this medicine check with your doctor, or pharmacist:
• if you ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to this medicine or any psychoactive drug;
• if you are allergic to any medicines, foods or other substances;
• if you are pregnant or intend to become pregnant while using this medicine (animal studies have shown toxic effects to developing fetuses);
• if you are breast-feeding an infant;
• if you have thought of suicide;
• if you have kidney or liver disease.
• This medication is used for treatment of certain types of mental depression, obsessive-compulsive disorders, and panic disorders.
• Usual dosage: The information below is based on the dosage guidelines your doctor uses. Depending on your condition and medical history, your doctor may prescribe a different regime. The recommended starting dose for adults is 75-225 mg a day, divided into 2-3 doses. Depending on your response to this drug, your doses may be increased to 375 milligrams a day
. The medicine is not recommended for children.
• Take each dose with food. If you forget to take a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember up to two hours late. If more than two hours, wait for the next scheduled dose. In patients over 60 years of age, adverse reactions may be more frequent and severe than in younger persons.
• Do not suddenly stop taking this drug. The dosage should be gradually reduced over a 2-week period.
• For safe and effective use of medicine: Follow your doctor’s instructions if this medicine was prescribed.
Along with the needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Possible side effects include:
Decreased sex drive
Cautions and Warnings
• Do not take this medicine if you are allergic or sensitive to any of their ingredients. Some people have experienced serious drug reactions to this type of medicine.
• This medicine can increase the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in adults, children, and teens. Patients who are started on therapy should be observed closely for clinical worsening of depression, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior, especially at the beginning of therapy, or when the dose is decreased or increased.
• The drug may affect platelets. although their exact effect is not known. Some people have had abnormal bleedings with taking this drug.
• This medicine should be used with caution by people with seizure disorders and in people with glaucoma.
• People with mania or hypomania may experience an activation or worsening of their condition taking this medicine, especially if they are not also taking an antimanic medication.
Driving or Hazardous Work
Do not drive until you learn how the medicine affects you. Do not work around dangerous machinery. Do not climb ladders or work in high places. Danger increases if you drink alcohol or take medicines affecting alertness and reflexes.
The following symptoms may be a sign of overdose:
Heart rhythm disturbances
Severe mouth dryness
• Call a doctor or hospital emergency room for instructions. If necessary, give first aid immediately.
The effect of this medicine may be increased by other antidepressants. Lithium, may increase the occurrence of side effects. Anticoagulants may cause an increase in anticoagulation. Alcohol will sometimes augment the depression.
• Be sure to tell your doctor about any medications you are currently taking.
The tablets should be stored at room temperature; store away from heat and direct light. Keep out of reach of children, since this medicine may be dangerous to children.