OSTEOPOROSIS (EASY TO READ)
Osteoporosis happens when your bones become thinner and weaker. Weak bones can break (fracture) more easily when you slip or fall. Bones most at risk of breaking are in the hip, wrist, and spine.
- Get enough calcium and vitamin D. These nutrients are good for your bones.
- Exercise as told by your doctor.
- Do not use any tobacco products. This includes cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and electronic cigarettes. If you need help quitting, ask your doctor.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Take medicines only as told by your doctor.
- Keep all follow-up visits as told by your doctor. This is important.
- Take care at home to prevent falls. Some ways to do this are:
- Keep rooms well lit and tidy.
- Put safety rails on your stairs.
- Put a rubber mat in the bathroom and other places that are often wet or slippery.
- You fall.
- You hurt yourself.