How do I know if I am at risk of developing ovarian cancer?
Families with hereditary ovarian cancer generally show one or more of the following clues:
- Relative(s) with high grade serious ovarian cancer
- Breast cancer diagnosed before the age of 40/bilateral breast cancer/male breast cancer
- Jewish ancestry and a history of breast/ovarian/prostate cancer
- Bowel/womb cancer diagnosed at a young age (before the age of 50)
- Multiple generations with cancer
It is important to be aware that hereditary ovarian cancer can be present on either the maternal (mother’s) or paternal (father’s) side of the family.